The harsh effects of the winter elements on natural hair can result in dry, damaged, and broken hair. Often natural hair enthusiasts tend to hide under hats and scarves during winter so as not to show off the condition of their winter-ravaged natural hair. Therefore, protective winter styles are very effective and help to keep natural hair protected from the damaging effects of the winter elements, while still looking good.
Revlon Realistic Special Feeling brand manager explains that protective styles help to stimulate healthy hair growth and repair any breakage that has happened over time. These styles provide the benefits of length retention, stress-free maintenance and keeps the hair safe from daily over-manipulation during winter. Protective styles can be solely natural hair or even include extensions for extra volume.
During winter over-fussing with your hair can lead to extreme damage due to the use of excessive heat, the harsh elements of the cold weather, the continuous tugging of your hair during styling, and general everyday faffing. Protective winter styles not only keep the hair safe but allow it to grow and repair during this time.
When deciding on a style it is important to prepare your hair before styling. You need to fully wash, detangle and trim your hair. Revlon Realistic Special Feeling Super Soft Activator can be applied to the hair to help detangle it. This is then followed by Special Feeling Oil-free Moisturising spray, to assist in obtaining healthy conditioned hair, and soften and smooth coarse hair. This can be left on while styling.
Protective winter hairstyles are stylish and on-trend making sure that you will look good while protecting your hair. Revlon Realistic Special Feeling suggests the following five protective winter styles to try out this winter:
- The classic two strand twist – this hairstyle is considered a classic for a reason, because you can style it any way you like. This is your moment to define yourself.
- Box braids – these are easy to maintain and are very versatile when styling. You can also spice things up by adding cornrows in between.
- Chunky braids – you need thick, long hair to accomplish this style. It is possible to stretch out your hair by blow-drying it beforehand.
- Halo twists – this is perfect for medium to long hair. It can be done yourself, and to create some extra dimension to it, add in some mini twists or cornrows at the top.
- All-back cornrows – a simple, at home hairstyle which can be worn with different hair accessories.
Once you have styled your hair, you will need to moisturise and take care of your scalp and roots every day. When sleeping at night use either a satin pillowcase or bonnet to help preserve your hairstyle while sleeping.
During winter, extra self-care is needed to stop the effects of the colder elements on our skin, hair, and even our moods. Having good-looking hair on a cold day is a good start and gives you the opportunity to concentrate on something else without worrying about your hair.
For more visit: www.revlon.co.za