Seeded Whole Wheat Date Balls
- 4 slices in Low GI Seeded Whole Wheat bread – blitzed into a crumb
- 1 cup of pitted dates
- ½ cup walnuts – chopped
- ¼ cup of desiccated coconut
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- ½ tsp. flaked sea salt
- 1/2 cup of desiccated coconut for coating
- Place all the ingredients (except for the coating ½ cup desiccated coconut) into a food processor and pulse until a coarse sticky dough is formed.
- Remove and place into a bowl.
- Roll the mixture into large marble sized balls.
- Place the desiccated coconut into a bowl and roll the balls into the coconut, coating evenly.
- Enjoy as a snack on the go or in a lunch box for the kids.
Whole Wheat Chicken Schnitzel
- 3 slices SASKO Low GI Whole Wheat Brown Bread, blitzed to a crumb
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced open and flattened with a rolling pin
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- Salt and pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 baby red cabbage, shaved
- 1 baby white cabbage, shaved
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 1 apple, cut into matchsticks
- 50 ml olive oil
- 30 ml apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup plain yoghurt
- 20 g mint, finely chopped
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Olive oil, for frying
1. Mix the chia seeds and the SASKO Low GI Whole Wheat Brown Bread crumbs, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl.
2. Place the beaten egg in a separate bowl.
3. Dip the flattened chicken breast into the egg and then into the bread crumb mixture, coating the breast fully. Set aside.
4. In a separate bowl, mix the two cabbages, the apple and the spring onions.
5. Toss the slaw in the olive oil and apple cider vinegar. Season and set aside.
6. In a bowl, mix the yoghurt, lemon juice and the mint. Set aside.
7. Heat the olive oil in a pan and fry the chicken schnitzel until golden brown on both
8. Serve the schnitzel with slaw and a drizzle of the minted yoghurt.
Oats & Honey Bread Pudding
Serves 4- 6
- 10 slices SASKO Low GI Oats and Honey Flavoured White Bread
- 15 g butter, melted
- 1 apple, cored and sliced thinly
- 600 ml milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla essence
- 3 Tbsp. castor sugar
- 1 large free-range eggs, plus 3 yolks
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup of shaved coconut flakes
- Handful of raspberries for garnish (optional)
- Brush the SASKO Low GI Oats and Honey bread with a little melted butter on one side, then cut into triangles and layer butter-side up with the apple in an ovenproof dish.
- Heat all the milk in a pan with the vanilla until almost boiling, then remove from the heat.
- Beat the sugar with the egg and egg yolks in a bowl, then pour over the milk, whilst continuously whisking.
- Strain back into the pan.
- Cook over a medium heat until the mixture just coats the back of a spoon, then add the cinnamon.
- Pour over the bread, then leave to soak in for 20 minutes.
- Top with coconut flakes.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C, then bake the pudding for 30-40 minutes until the custard is set and the tips of the bread slices are golden.
- Garnish with fresh raspberries.
Cranberry Bread Breakfast Cups
- 6 slices SASKO Low GI Cranberry Brown Bread
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in quarters
- 1 handful baby spinach, washed
- Salt and pepper
- Chives for garnish
- 1 tsp. butter for greasing muffin tin
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
- Cut the crusts off the SASKO Low GI Cranberry Brown Bread slices and cut into squares.
- Roll the bread flat with a rolling pin.
- Push the slices into a greased muffin tin.
- Place into the oven and bake for +-5 minutes.
- Remove and add the spinach, a few tomatoes and a cracked an egg into the cup.
- Season and add a few tomatoes on top.
- Bake in the oven until cooked through and golden.
- Remove from the oven and cool slightly before removing from the pan.
- Garnish with chopped chives.
Soy & Linseed Salmon & Avo Toast
- 4 slices SASKO Low GI Soy and Linseed White Bread
- 1 avocado
- 80 g smoked salmon or smoked trout ribbons
- 100 g cream cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Linseeds, toasted
- Micro herbs, for garnish
1. Spoon the avocado out of the skin and smash in a bowl, keeping it chunky.
2. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Toast the SASKO Low GI Soy and Linseed White slices.
4. Top the toast with the cream cheese, smashed avocado and finally salmon ribbons.
5. Sprinkle the linseeds on top of the salmon and garnish with micro herbs.
For more visit: sasko.co.za