If you’re thinking of cooking up something special for dad this Father’s Day, we have eggs-actly what you’re looking for: a scrumptious brunch that packs a punch in the protein department.
The star of our brunch banquet is the shine to your rise, your morning surprise and the ultimate brunch king: we’re talking about eggs, of course.
Eggs contain choline and lutein, two nutrients essential for brain development, memory and learning. Eating whole eggs during resistance training also helps with better muscle building, improvements in body fat, and greater strength.
So, whether your dad’s got brains or brawn, or a little bit of both, an egg-cellent meal is a must on your Father’s Day menu.
We know most dads love their meat, so why not whip up his favourite cut, but with an egg on the side (or on top!) But make sure it’s a whole egg: egg yolks contain heart-healthy monounsaturated fats and vitamins A, D and E, plus iron too.
Our star recipe this month is steak rolls with fried egg and tomato smoor. It’s a trendy new take on an old South African Father’s Day favourite. Pair it with potato chips for a more substantial meal or poach the eggs and add baked sweet potato fries for a more health-conscious option.
Boil them or poach them, fry them or scramble them, have them any which way you like them, but be sure to serve up a couple of eggs with a dollop of love for the best Father’s Day brunch ever.
Steak Roll with Fried egg and tomato smoor
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 4 Portuguese rolls
- 4 pieces steak, cooked to your liking
- 4 large eggs
- 30ml chilli oil
For the smoor:
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon curry powder (optional)
- 400g chopped tinned tomatoes
- 250ml water
- 1 stock cube, beef flavour
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) brown sugar
- For the smoor: In a pan, heat the oil, add the onions, and sauté until soft. Add the paprika and curry powder and fry for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the tomatoes and water and bring to a boil. Add the beef stock cube, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and allow to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring continuously until thickened.
- To serve: fry the eggs in the chilli oil until done to your liking, top the roll with the steak, fried egg, and the tomato smoor.
Like EGGcellentFood on Facebook and follow us on Instagram eggcellentfoodsa , for further information visit www.sapoultry.co.za