1. Can you please tell us more about your business?
A. Mommy Mall SA Pty Ltd. is the first peer to peer business and trade platform for mothers in business in South Africa, founded by myself in 2014.
2. When, how and why did you start your business?
A. Mother entrepreneurs have very little support and often also have no access to marketing channels or know-how. I started Mommy Mall SA out of a passion to help women, especially mothers, succeed in business.
3. What is your role in the business?
A. I am the Founder of the organisation and offer a business consulting service to this “mom community” in capacity of business-and-marketing planner.
Mommy Mall SA is my second business. I also hold Director position at LIFT Marketing, a boutique marketing strategy consultancy.
4. Where did you study and what did you study?
A. I finished a double honours degree in B.A Communications Science with majors in Public Relations and Advertising as well as Radio and TV.
5. How did you finance your business?
A. My business is cash operated. I invest profits back into the business and built it on cash only.
6. Describe your average workday, if such a thing exists.
A. Because I have “two jobs” no day will look like the one before. I spend a lot of time finding solutions for my clients such as media buying and marketing implementation planning. I also offer workshops from time to time for both brands that I work for.
7. How do you balance your home life and your work life?
A. I have a rule about work. Leave work at work. When I get home I try switch off and not think about what needs to be done at the office.
8. What drives you and inspires you?
A. I am inspired by my children daily. I also enjoy following the success stories of others and reading books of top entrepreneurs and thought leaders.
9. Where and when do you have your best ideas?
A.Lol. Usually in the shower or when driving. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night with an idea then have to jot it down quick.
10. Where and how do you market/advertise your business for sales leads?
A. My business is online, so most of my advertising is online, on Google, LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
11. What is next for your business?
A. I have big plans for 2020. The first expansion is a business growth package that will enable moms to get access to business planning and graphic design services – packaged to ignite business growth – from Mommy Mall SA. I would also love to start a magazine for moms in business.
12. What advice would you give to female entrepreneurs hoping to start their own business?
A. Do research about what it takes to run a business before you start. Not everyone is cut out to make it as entrepreneur. Don’t venture into something if you are not 100% sure about your ability and determination to make it work.