For parents and children, the process of learning to read, of understanding sounds and knowing the alphabet is an exciting one. The process is pivotal as it is the foundation for a lifetime of reading, writing and understanding. The ability to read and write provides the foundation for communication and interpreting the world around us.
Learning the alphabet, understanding sounds and being able to read is a process and a critical milestone in a child’s development. It is important for parents to make reading fun and a journey of discovery.
Here are some ways that you can foster your child’s abilities when it comes to reading and writing:
- Talk to your child. This may seem quite rudimentary, but in this day and age where we have an almost constant information overload, it is important to switch off cell phones and screens and talk. Have a conversation with your child. Ask her questions and prompt her to ask you things too.
- Give your child writing tasks. Give him a pen and a piece of paper and ask him to write down what happened during the best or the worst part of his day. Just a few sentences will do. The exercise is aimed at helping your child organise his thoughts and express them in a way that makes sense to others.
- Put aside time to read with your child. Even if this is a few minutes each day, but try to read with your child, either at bedtime or during bath time when you have their attention.
- Make sure that the books you buy for your child are age appropriate and that your child can read the book with ease. If your child stumbles on too many words, then chances are the book is too difficult for her and this will cause her to be frustrated. Rather let her read something that is easy for her to read so that she enjoys the story. She has her whole life to read difficult books.
- Ensure that she has access to a large variety of books. Take her to the library every two weeks and let her choose her own books. He will love you for it!
LeapFrog has a range of literacy products that can help your child learn the basics of sounds, language, and the alphabet. Below are some exciting products:
LeapFrog Alpha Pup
The LeapFrog Alphapup sings the alphabet and sounds out letters and words to provide early exposure to basic vocabulary and phonics. Vibrant buttons, cool wobbly wheels and a wagging tail will engage children and help to develop their motor skills. It features the British English language with spellings, phonics and pronunciations. Available at good toy stores.
Leapfrog Spin and Sing Alphabet Zoo
Discover the alphabet from Alligator to Zebra! Little ones will have a blast as they spin, bat, roll and learn with the Spin & Sing Alphabet Zoo. When baby presses on any letter on the ball, he or she will hear the letter name, letter sound or one of 26 classic tunes. When he or she spins or rolls the ball, baby will hear the ABC Song or one of three other melodies while twinkling lights flash to the beat. The music stops when the ball stops, encouraging your little one to keep playing. Available at good toy stores.
For more information go to www.PrimaToys.co.za