It is a well-known fact that avocados are rich in healthy fats, which are an essential part of a balanced diet, and important for brain health, heart health and overall well-being. Recent research confirms that avocados contain at least 16 fatty acids, with each offering unique health advantages.
The majority of these are monounsaturated (mainly oleic acid, the main fatty acid in olive oil). A single serving (±50 g) of avocado contains approximately 5 g of monounsaturated fatty acids, which are known to promote heart health by improving cholesterol levels.
Polyunsaturated fat, important for nerve function, blood clotting, brain health, and muscle strength, makes up about 1 g of an avocado.
Multiple studies have connected diets rich in avocados to improved health outcomes. These include reductions in heart disease risk, metabolic syndrome (also known as insulin resistance), abdominal fat, and body mass index (BMI). These findings align with the growing consensus that shifting towards healthy fats is a smart move for overall health.
In essence, avocados offer more than just great taste. Their fatty acid profile contributes to their nutritional value, and they also contain a range of other nutrients and compounds that synergistically promote well-being.
By incorporating avocados into your diet, you’re not only savouring a delicious treat but also providing your body with the tools it needs to thrive.
This is why healthcare professionals encourage that we shift from eating the less healthy saturated fats to favouring more monounsaturated fats. Here’s how avos can add a special touch to our favourite meals – both nutritionally and tastefully – try this delicious Avo-nnaise Potato Salad!
Potato Salad with Avo-nnaise
- Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
- Serves: 4 – 6
Ingredients for the avo-nnaise:
- 2 avocados, peeled and chopped
- 50ml avocado oil
- 1 tsp smooth Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 lemon, juiced and zest
- Pinch of sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Ingredients for the potato salad:
- 500g peeled new potatoes, cooked and roughly chopped
- 1 large avocado, roughly chopped
- Chopped chives to garnish
- Freshly ground black pepper to garnish
- To make the avo-nnaise, place all the ingredients in a jug and blend with a stick blender until smooth and pourable. Add a couple of teaspoons cold water if necessary, to reach a pourable consistency.
- To assemble the salad, combine all the ingredients in a bowl, and stir through a couple of tablespoons of avo-nnaise until the potatoes are well coated.
- Spoon the salad into a bowl and garnish with roughly chopped avocado, chopped chives and freshly ground black pepper.
For further information and avo recipes, visit www.avocado.co.za